Today we are leaving Paris. Time flies, and I can't believe we're already headed out to Switzerland! We bumped into some train problems today, but managed to work it all out. I think part of the fun in backpacking is when we get to be flexible and work through problems together. It makes the trip more memorable and the experience gets more and more built on overcoming challenges.
Anyways, needless to say -- we're on our way to Bern now and will be there for the next two days before heading out to Zermatt. Let me just say one thing, moving cities is a lot harder than you think. It takes a lot of energy and vigilance when travelling. I almost pickpocketed today, but luckily 1) I didnt' have anything important in my wallet and 2) I caught the theif and yelled at her and she promptly gave it back to me.
For other future travellers, remember this: always book your train reservations ahead of time. It will save you some lining up time and hassle.
Back to our Paris experience. To summarize, we went to the Arc de Triomphe, The Eiffel Tower, a whole slew of random monuments (gardens, parks, fountains, towers, churches), the Louvre and a lot of local walking, metroing and train-ing. You cannot imagine how sore our feet are from walking. We are usually out 12-14 hours touring the city. We get back to our hostels usually past midnight taking one of the last trains back to where we stayed.
I'm the type of person that loves the experience and feeling one gets from visitng and place. And both the Eiffel tower, and the Arc de Triomphe had a sense of granduer in them. It had a "wow' factor which makes you drop your jaw and say, this is truly unique!
We walked around a lot, ate appropriately (because everything is so EXPENSIVE) and visited all the things we wanted to see. The Engineers inside an art museum (the Louvre) was not an exciting event. We just had a lot of fun making up random stories to match what we saw in paintings. I though David vs Goliath was a battle between Peter Pan and some random foe. Clearly I was mistaken.
Anyways, I'll let the pictures talk for themselves in the next post. I'll try to update in more detail, but the pictures will have to do for now. I think the rest of the group will also post something to the blog with their own thoughts.
Thanks for reading. :)
Mike
Boooo.. my previous post didn't publish... I forgot the word verification! =(
ReplyDeleteBUT regardless, I just wanted to say MIKEE I'm glad that you caught the thief red handed!!! I wish you guys safe travels and that you guys continue to have LOADs of fun! Thanks for blogging and for putting up photos, it really helps us know how you guys are doing and helps us feel closer to you guys! We all miss you and can't wait to read your next post! =)
ReplyDeleteO wao almost pickpocketed ><.
ReplyDeleteJust wondering, what are you using to blog? You guys brought your computers?